There are plenty of benefits to dog walking including better physical health, mental stimulation, deepening your bonding and better personal health. Here are some dog walking tips to make your walks more enjoyable for both you and your dog.
- Make sure your dog is wearing proper identification that is up to date. You want to make sure people can id your dog in case it gets lost.
- Get a couple of poop bags before heading out. Dog poop that is not picked up causes major health concerns to humans and pets alike.
- Give your dog a little extra time to sniff around. Decide which areas are appropriate and safe for it to explore. All those smells provide your dog with mental stimulation and information.
- Bring a water bottle if you are going to be walking for more than a half hour or out in the hot weather. Since dogs sweat through panting, they can easily become dehydrated during exercise,
- Avoid hot pavements during summer. You can walk your dog in the grass, go to the park, or walk in the woods.
- Bring along some treats to keep your dog focused in case it gets distracted.
- If you run into anyone else walking their dog, ask before letting your dog approach their dog.
- Wear something reflective if you walk at night. Check out the dog supplies and get a reflective collar/leash combo for your dog.